Tuesday, August 25, 2009

a thought for today...

So, the other day, I put a link to the blog on facebook so my friends could read Zoe's story and see how she's doing. A comment was made by an old friend that got me thinking. It was simple, really- she just said "I'm Sorry, Lisa". The first thing I thought was, "sorry? For what?" This made me realize just how far we have come since we first discovered Zoe's hearing loss. Back then, I too felt sorry for her. I felt sorry for me. I thought the worst and felt how unfair it was that MY little girl had a disability. I was scared of the changes that would be taking place in the future- the hearing aids, her development- everything- was up in the air and i was terrified. I spent many nights (and days!) crying, bawling my eyes out even- worrying about this and that- how this would affect her relationships in the future, if she would ever be "normal".

Now, i realize that she IS normal. This is the way she was meant to be- and without her hearing aids, Zoe wouldn't be Zoe. I have learned that my daughter is perfect just the way she is. I do not feel sorry for her- I am happy that she has the hearing that she does- and that she is also blessed with so much more- she has a family that adores her, she's happy and healthy. Then, the other night, my mother wound up a musical jewelry box for Zoe- you know the one every little girl has had at one point in their life- with the little triangle shaped mirror and tiny spinning ballerina? Unfortunately, she was getting ready for bed and I had already taken her "ears" out. So, Zoe- the amazing little girl that she is, lifts the music box to her ear, and then to her other ear. She may have been able to hear it, maybe not. She might have been feeling the vibration against her cheek. My mom commented how sweet it was, and that she felt sorry for her. Again, I asked "why"? She said because she couldn't hear her music box. I just popped her neon pink hearing aids in her ears- problem solved. She may not hear like you and me, but she HEARS. That is all that matters to us. She hears her favorite TV show, music on the radio, (and shakes her little booty to it) dogs barking in the distance- we are so blessed. So, please- do not feel sorry for Zoe. She is luckier than so many children in this world, disabled or not.

xoxo
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment