Friday, September 4, 2009

I wonder sometimes...

...Why people feel the need to look down on to talk down to other people like they are so high and mighty? I mean, I have never really been one to care how someone raises THEIR child, unless it is just wrong and unhealthy for the child. I have seen and heard it all when it comes to parenting techniques in the short 2 years I have been a parent. I have seen the overzealous "Boob Nazi's" that swear infant formula is rat poisoning and that anyone who formula feeds is a bad mother and should not have kids. I have seen the issues and debates on co-sleeping, baby wearing, pacifiers, vaccinations/immunizations, cloth diapering, blah, blah, BLAH. I mean, if I use disposable diapers, formula feed, and let my daughter sleep with me in bed, is she going to grow up any differently? NO. Also, why does everyone CARE so much what I, or anyone else, does to raise THEIR kids???

I got to thinking about this not because of all the typical debates i listed above, but because of a topic on another of my favorite blogs about cochlear implants. Now, I am TERRIFIED of the whole thing- the procedure, the changes and everything. Plus, our daughter is not deaf. Zoe is hard of hearing- meaning she has some hearing, but needs amplification to help her. From what I know about cochlear implants (read: not much) , they are mainly for people who were not helped by hearing aids, and/or are completely deaf. However, I recently learned that this, too- is a topic up for debate. Apparently, some people think the implant takes away the "culture" of a deaf person- like hearing is a bad thing because it changes who they are. I, personally- think those people are on crack. WHY, oh WHY, would you deliberately deny your child the ability to hear if you could give that to them? I just don't get it. But, it's not up to me to "get" those people, or care if they choose that for their child or not. So why do others feel the need to down other people and make them feel bad for their decision? Oh well, I guess the deaf community is not any different from any other community- each has it's taboos and stigmas, stereotypes and misconceptions. It's just up to us as parents to make the right decision for OUR children.

No comments:

Post a Comment